Communication is an inter-disciplinary topic based on scientific study of human functioning. It is therefore founded on positive psychology, leadership, and other management disciplines. Apart from technical know-how, modern project managers must be skilled in a portfolio of communication techniques, understand how they can affect the team’s accomplishments, as well as when to use appropriate communication channels and strategies.
“The art of communication is the language of leadership.” by James Humes, aptly emphasizes the importance of communication.
Course participants will receive 14 PMI PDUs (Professional Development Units) that can be used towards PMI recertification purposes upon successful completion of the course.
Introduction to Communication
- Basic models of communication
- Interpersonal and cross-cultural communication
- Channels of communication
- Contemporary and changing roles of communication
Effective and Ineffective Communication
- Benefits and consequences
- Successful leading companies lessons
- Goals and principles
- The four key communication areas
- The 7C’s of good communication
Communication in Practice
- Defining a Communication Strategy
- Communication Planning
- Understanding communication competency
- Active Listening
- Leadership Quality
- Collaborating with Executives
The Communication Toolkit
- Methods and Techniques
- Visual, Written, Verbal, and Non-Verbal
- Interpreting common body language
- Technology and social media in projects
- Netiquette and E-mail
Myths, Challenges and Risks
- Barriers to communication
- I hate my co-workers!
- Dealing with difficult people
Conflict Management and Business Negotiation
- The Conflict Process and Business Negotiation Process
- Conflict resolution techniques
- ADR (Alternative Dispute Resolution)
- ZOPA and BATNA.
The course syllabus is flexible and can be tailored to suit the requirements and objectives of our customers and partners. Please contact Sapience Consulting to discuss further about your ideas and possibilities.
To provide insights into important topics related to effective communications within projects and organizations with plenty of group discussion and activities included. In order to reinforce the learning experience, the theories in the syllabus are presented and supported by fun stimulating activities.
Led by experienced trainers and facilitators, you will learn to communicate better as an individual and within groups in addition to gaining valuable knowledge on handling workplace conflicts and negotiations.
This training helps nurture and expand this fundamental area of expertise, giving project teams access and knowledge to more tools in overcoming challenges and working together to solve problems.
Delegates will be able to:
- Exam-focused training
- Understand basic communication concepts and principles
- Gain more confidence in interpersonal communication in a safe environment
- Understand and deal with difficulties faced in cross cultural project teams
- Understand the importance of having a proper strategy and plan to communicate
- Improve their listening skills, collaboration and effectiveness especially in groups
- Leverage the use of various communication methods and technologies
- Interpret and harness the power of body language and non-verbal communication
- Get tips on dealing with difficult people and overcome communication barriers
- Understand the essentials of conflict management and business negotiations.
Although primarily targeted at project management professionals this course is relevant to everyone, be it those who lead or participate in projects, as having effective communication skills are critical in modern organizations.
Anyone who wants to improve their communication skills and knowledge to maximize the effectiveness of their interactions with people and across cultures.
Other than enthusiasm and an open-mind, there are no specific technical or academic qualifications required. Active participation is expected from delegates to increase the value and takeaways from this course.